Environmental and social sustainability
This competition series, launched in 2022, is inspired by FSF research into the benefits of nature-based solutions in urban contexts, carried out as part of our Building Natural Connections campaign.
For our first round, we’ve challenged architecture students from five UK universities to design environmentally and socially sustainable ways to bring nature into the city. This series marks the FSF’s first in-person competition since 2020, with workshops held in the Make studio followed by presentations to a judging panel.
This competition challenged students to design a nature-based intervention to protect and restore ecosystems in our cities, with each team given a motif to orient their responses around, from ‘exchange’ to ‘energy’ to ‘connect’. We welcomed judges from the FSF and Make, along with BuroHappold, the Baylight Foundation and University of East London.
- Peter GreavesArchitectural Lead, Future Spaces Foundation
- Sara VealeManaging Editor, Future Spaces Foundation
- Nicolo BenciniSenior Engineer, BuroHappold
- Laura MarkBaylight Foundation
- Dr Renee TobeUniversity of East London
- Rahul VishwakarmaArchitect, Make Architects